During this time of COVID with most of the over-the-board play shut down, here are a few of the available tournaments that can be completed online.
Typically, this page houses a fairly comprehensive list of selected tournaments, mostly in the mid-Atlantic, that are suitable for our players. You should also check out the Virginia Chess Federation page and click on “Clearinghouse” for upcoming tournaments in our region. You can also check out the VSCA calendar here for smaller events and be sure to click through all the tabs.
Here are a list of organizations running regular, weekly online tournaments:
- US Chess – on chess.com, you can join the official US Chess club and participate in free blitz, quick, and rapid online-rated games.
- US Chess Monday Blitz:
- USCF Blitz held every Monday at 6 p.m. Eastern
- 5 rounds
- 10 | 0 time control
- USCF Blitz held every Monday at 11 p.m. Eastern
- 7 Rounds
- 5|0 time control
- US Chess Wednesday Blitz:
- USCF Blitz held every Wednesday at 8 p.m. Eastern
- 7 rounds (fewer if not enough participants)
- 3|2 blitz time control
- US Chess Friday Rapid:
- USCF Rapid held every Friday at 8 p.m. Eastern
- 5 rounds
- 15|10 time control
- US Chess Saturday:
- 2 pm Eastern
- Week 1, 1st Saturday: Blitz — the most popular choice was 10|0
- Week 2, 2nd Saturday: Quick/ Rapid — 15|2 — open to changing the increment
- Week 3, 3rd Saturday: Blitz — most popular request was 10|0
- Week 4, 4th Saturday: Quick/Rapid — 29/0
- Week 5, 5th Saturday: Quick/Rapid — 15|10
- US Chess Morning Membership Events
- Played at 11am Eastern, Monday/Wednesday/Friday
- 4 Rounds
- 5|2 time control
- DMV Chess
- Scholastic, arena-style tournaments on Saturdays. Usually, it’s K-3, K-5, K-8, K-12, and Parents and Friends. Trophies mailed to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each section. Three hour arena style pairings with game in 25 minutes with a 3-second increment
July 11: The Online Scholastic Sparkler (Online)
– USCF rated only. Championship, U1400, U1000, U500. Standard or quick rated, depending on section.
July 18: American Chess Convention (Online)
– USCF rated only. Open, U1900, U1500: G/24; +5. U1000, U500: G/15; +5. 5 Sections, 4 Round Swiss.
Looking ahead to fall 2020, we will update as more news becomes available…